The main characteristics of ScienSe are:
- It indexes documents from multiple web sites given by the user.
- It looks for documents in several formats including: plain text, adobe PDF, Postscript, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and HTML.
- It organizes and stores the searches in a relational database that fulfills the SQL.92 standard.
- It allows the search of the publications stored in the databases using several criteria like: name of the author, title of the publication, institution of the author, date of publication, editorial, organization, institution of publication, kind of publication, keywords or combinations of these.
- It has a web based interface of simple use.
- The indexing of the information is automatic and based on several heuristic to look for the publications and to store the information in the database.
- It is free software covered by the GNU General Public License.